Termites make didgeridoos but they can't play them.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Blooming today


Prairie phlox above and dianthus below. The phlox has a beautiful, sweet smell but--and I can't believe I am saying this--I wish it smelled more like old fashinoned cultivated phlox.

The darker pink dianthus has returned three years running. We haven't had a normal winter since I planted them, still they certainly deserve their reputation for hardiness. The native Rudbeckia below should be blooming in about a week. Monarchs have laid eggs on that milkweed, but no caterpillars yet. What I neglected to photograph this morning is all the native spiderwort. From one six pack three or four years ago we now have volunteers everywhere. Good thing too, one of my favorite plants. One last thing while making garden noise...there's a male red-winged blackbird in my neighbor's backyard calling for all his worth as if he intends to stay. I've heard they visit feeders but I would hardly call our yards a normal territory. Strange sound to feel in my head up here on the bluff, in this house and year.





No comments: